I.Purposes
—I like pop music very much.And you?
—To tell you the truth,I dislike pop music.I like classical music instead.
日常生活中,我们常会听到类似这样的对话。
大千世界,芸芸众生,由于个性差异,人们对事物的看法总是千差万别,有时甚至大相径庭,完全对立。造成这种差异的原因很多,有的是因为爱好各异,正所谓“萝卜白菜,各有所爱”;有的是因为各自看问题的角度不同,恰如苏轼所说“横看成岭侧成峰,远近高低各不同”;有的则是因为所处的阶级或地位不同,从而对同一事物或现象表现出截然不同的兴趣爱好,得出彼此矛盾甚至对立的结论。
II.Summary of Useful Expressions
(A)询问某人是否喜欢某物或某人(Asking if somebody likes something or somebody)
Do you like/love surfing the Internet?你喜欢上网冲浪吗?
Do you enjoy watching the sunrise at the seaside?你喜欢到海滨看日出吗?
Are you keen on rock music?你喜欢摇滚乐吗?
Do you care for this way oflife?你喜欢这种生活方式吗?
What's your favourite drink?你最喜欢什么饮料?
May I ask if you are fond of sci-fiction films?请问你喜欢科幻影片吗?
(B)喜欢(Likes)
I like the folk songs of Northwest China.我喜欢中国西北民歌。
I really enjoy Tolstoy's War and Peace.我确实喜欢托尔斯泰的《战争与和平》。
Playing chess is a lovely way to pass the time.下棋是一种令人愉快的消遣方法。
I'm interested in whatis going on in the world.我对世界上发生的一切都感兴趣。
We teenagers are crazy about football.我们年轻人极其喜欢足球运动。
I'm very keen on sailing sports.我非常喜欢帆船运动。
Walking is one of my favourite pastimes.散步是我最喜欢的消遣之一。
I'm really fond of reading English novels.我确实喜欢读英文小说。
I can't find words to express how much I like it.我无法用语言表达我多么喜欢它。
What a lovely(charming)night seeing!多美的(迷人的)夜色啊!
(C)不喜欢(Dislikes)
Idon'tparticularly like playing cards.我不是特别喜欢打牌。
I don't care much for western-style food.我不大喜欢西餐。
I'm afraid I don't like that kind of selfish fellow.恐怕我不喜欢那种自私的人。
I really hate gossiping.我真的不喜欢说三道四。
I especially dislike smoking.我特别不喜欢抽烟。
Imust say I'm not too fond of addressing the public.我得说我不大喜欢在众人面前演说。
There's nothing I like less than cheating.我最恨弄虚作假。
I have a dislike of freezing winter.我不喜欢寒冷的冬天。
I don't think I've ever seen anything I dislike more.我想我从来没有见过比这更讨厌的了。
Ican't bear /putup with his manner ofpride.我不能忍受他的傲慢行为。
III.Background Information
美国人喜欢直爽(directness)。在宴会上,他们不像中国人那样频频让客。邀请美国人吃饭,你让他吃某种菜,他若不喜欢,就会直截了当地说“No,thanks.I just don't like it.”他甚至可能当面向主人点他喜欢吃的东西,决不会因为“顾面子”而委屈自己。美国人普遍遵循这样一个原则:诚实是上策。(Honesty is the policy.)因此与美国人交往,一定要诚实守信;如果他发现你对他不说实话,就会不愉快,甚至从此不再与你往来。